Monday, August 23, 2010

Breaking Ice- The Theater Way

A week ago my life was so closed and restricted to a small cubicle. I never realized that until I joined CBS…and till we had the amazing ‘corporate theatre session’ hosted by Mr. Prakash Dharmaraj at the Boat Club. I never knew how much I had missed in life! His agenda was to teach us the value of teamwork and the method he used was highly innovative. He made us do small things such as introducing ourselves in a weird way, performing a photo scene and playing a renewed version of dumb charades!

The fun I had over there can’t be expressed in this tiny section but my experience can be shared though. On doing those small things we forgot about our self-consciousness, and "forgetting your self-consciousness makes you look good!” Mr. Prakash added. We realized that self-consciousness was our arch nemesis for growth. We all sat down, formed a circle and each of us were asked to share our experiences. For the first time I expressed my true experience- the whole session inspired me to a whole new level.

When I came to know the background of my classmates I thought that this is never gonna work- mainly because of the diversity- those with 8 years experience,4 years experience, engineering, arts, freshers etc. I was among a mixed group of people like Vivek aka perfectionist; Harsha aka mind freak, social girl; Satya aka entrepreneur; Arjun aka maths geek, etc- people like them could easily be driven by attitude. But I chewed my hat when I was proven wrong, the unity among our class members is undisputable, none of them had any glimpse of attitude in them. I experienced lack of unity in my school and under-graduation days where there is absolutely no diversity, but over here at CBS, its totally different. This moved me so much that I felt 1 year is too short. I am inspired and ready for the upcoming year. I will pray that the unity stays on forever. On my way back home I heard this song by Nickleback- ‘If everybody cared’ and the song was apt. The following lines inspired me and reminded me more of the corporate theatre:

"If everyone cared and nobody cried

If everyone loved and nobody lied

If everyone shared and swallowed their pride

Then we'd see the day when nobody died…"

Remove "if" and "then" from the above lines and that would summarise my CBS mates. Now its time to demolish my small cubicle and explore the "real world" along with them. And the corporate theater was the perfect beginning.

Contributed by K U Mohammad Anwar Sadhath, Marcom Varsity (V Batch 2010-11)


No comments: